Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Avoid Coupon Burnout by "Playing the Game"

I read an article this morning on "Avoiding Frugality Burnout." One of the pieces of advice that the author gives is to treat your "couponing" like a game. I couldn't agree more. Treating it like a game makes it much more doable. Have fun with it...laugh at yourself.


Does saving $30 on groceries this week really make that much difference in the grand scheme of things? Not really. But by treating it like a game and enjoying the "thrill of the hunt," the savings begin to add up ...and up....and up.

One of the more enjoyable aspects of couponing is having others to compare to. Even if my girlfriend "wins" this week -- because I save 68%, and she saves 70%....we just had fun and saved tons of money. It beats spending $8.50 per ticket to go to the movies!


So don't fret if you had a bad spending week. Just play the game again this week and vow to win this time. If you had a great week last week, try to beat your best "score." It's a win/win.

1 comment:

kate said...

Sorry I know this is an older post, but I'd like to get into the coupon game. What's your advice for me? Where do you get your coupons (just in the newspaper?)?
Thanks!
Kate
(friend light and Captain N)